Sunday, July 08, 2007

I’m going to take a wild guess and assume that no one living in Skåne or in Sweden has missed the constant raining this week. it’s been so bad that the basement at my job got flooded. at one point the water was over one meter high and our boss was talking about possibly evacuating the old folks living at the home. she also sent someone to buy flashlights in case the power went out.

the basement is, when it’s not filled with water, where we have our locker room, the storage room and the tanning bed (which I’ve never used btw). when I went down to check on it the first time, the water was still clean and even if it was a bit strange to wade around in 20 cm high water to get my clothes, lucky I did since no one was allowed down there later because of the risk of getting electrocuted , it was kinda neat. a new experience. naturally I managed to get wet despite the rubber boots I was wearing.
the second time I went down there the water was all dirty and funky looking and, I know this will make me sound like a total dork, but it felt a bit like a scene from a catastrophe-type-of-movie, water coming in everywhere, no one really knowing what was going on, the boss freaking out and calling pretty much everyone who could help (the firemen, a few plumbing companies, her boss) and of course the pump outside trying to remove the water.


I know I shouldn’t make a big deal or complain about all the things which got ruined (quite a few people got their things destroyed in the lockers and what if we run out of diapers) since it’s so much worse on other places. but I tend to be somewhat self absorbed and this is the first time something like this has affected me personally, guess I can’t ever say that again, so it’s a milestone. a weird one but still a milestone.
I can’t wait to get to work tomorrow to see how it looks.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Swim carefully, my dear!